Wednesday, August 21, 2013

New girls

The two new girls, Super and Marsala are all grown up! 
The day they came home to Bluestocking Farm!

We got them where all of our girls came from, Dare 2 Dream Farms.  We actually went up to the farm and picked them out, they were about 17 or 18 weeks old when they came home. They came to Bluestocking Farm in May as pullets and in the last couple of weeks, their combs have come in and they're running with the big girls. Super started laying gorgeous pinkish-brown eggs last week, which is a good thing because Potpie had a little illness this summer and hasn't laid for the last 4 weeks or so. Marsala should start laying before Fall.
This is Super (front) and Marsala (back) yesterday.

Last week was the first time I was able to get Marsala and Super back into the coop without having to chase them down, which, trust me, is an amusing sight and great exercise!  I've now trained all of the girls to follow me into the coop.

How? When the first four were little (and I didn't know better) I bought a bag of very overpriced treats in a very shiny bag. They recognize the bag now (really!) and I've been since filling it up with homemade treats but I only give them the treats in the coop. So they know to march their fuzzy butts inside in order to get treats. Today was the first time Super and Marsala followed the rest of the gang back to the coop. They're like my little chicken army!

March!!!

Guess what?

No comments:

Post a Comment